Custer is located near Ferndale and has an elementary school, post office and several downtown businesses. Custer’s boundaries merge with Ferndale’s boundaries. Custer is a quaint area where farmland is prevalent. Originally, the town was located at the intersection of the current Valley View and Bay roads, but in 1890-1892 the town moved to accommodate the railroad. The railroad continues to run through the town today. Custer was named after its first postmaster, Albert W. Custer.
The Lummi Nation traditionally lived near the sea and in the mountain areas that surrounded Ferndale, and spoke the Salishan language. The tribe smoke-dried seafood, camas bulbs and sun-dried berries, and ate all species of shell fish, crab, salmon, trout, elk, deer and other land and sea mammals. They expressed their language, family heritage and religious traditions through their totem pole carvings.
The reservation is a 5-mile long peninsula which is surrounded by Lummi Bay on the west, Bellingham Bay on the east, the smaller peninsula of Sandy Point, Portage Island and the associated tidelands.